4/7/10

Fat Gandalf

Let us talk about fat.
I've never exactly been skinny, voting "Yes" to cheeseburgers and fries whenever they came up in conversation. And now, as an addict of my local gym, weight is not exactly an issue, being slightly above my target for my height. However, there was a period of time that I am slightly ashamed of, and that period has a name.
Fat Gandalf.
As a fan of the Lord of the Rings, Gandalf has always been a favorite character of mine. And having then recently discovered the wonder of Ren Faires, I pulled out my costume sword and staff, and ready to shout "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" whenever the opportunity arose. It was only afterward when I saw the pictures friends took of me on Facebook that I realized I may have a problem. The costume was a poor take of that from the movie, cloth tight in the wrong places, made of stretchy cotton rather than the rough heavy wool Ian McKellen was fond of. Instead of Gandalf, and made me look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man decided to go cos-playing. I was about as pale as him, and my inability to grow any sort of facial hair enunciated the baby-faced pudgy nitwit that buldged in all the wrong places, nearly overlapping the belt I wore around my "waist."
Did I mention how pale I was/am? When people shouted "The White Wizard!" they were not kidding.
Skip a few years/girlfriends/anti-depressants down the line, I've dropped 60 pounds, and picked up new hobbies in jogging and weightlifting (still no luck on a tan), boosting my self-confidence by a thousandfold, regardless of whatever medication my therapist says I need.
So if Fat Gandalf can make it, so can you! The magic is inside you all along.
You pasty freak.

1 comment: