5/20/10

Knife

I have this thing about being useful. I carry a pocketknife strapped to my belt, and I have a flashlight and compass in my backpack. Not that I ever really use them, with the exception of the knife, which I use daily (and probably illegally) at work. Knife, serrated knife, pliers, three screwdrivers, bottle opener, ruler, wire cutters, and for some reason, a saw. I was sharpening it the other day, when it struck me, I may have an obsession with making myself valuable through being useful.

Harkening back to my 'Fat Gandalf' days, I augmented myself with these various tools and gizmos and gewgaws to make me feel better about myself, as I was wholly useless to myself, my friends, and humanity in general. Since then I've gone to school for something I'm genuinely interested in, lost weight, put on muscle, changed the way I dress, comb my hair, any number of things. But was it all in the goal of usefulness? And in what the hell way am I useful?

Well, I can lift significantly heavier things now, and actually run, as opposed to fall over breathing heavily trying to get the tingle in my left arm to go away after taking a few quick steps. I bought a truck as opposed to the crappy little compact I had, enabling me to ferry more people back and forth (Altho that may have backfired, as I've managed to turn into a middle aged cantankerous father figure, I don't know how many times I've said 'Don't make me turn this car around').

So all my effort to become more useful has resulted in a slightly healthier body and a truck.
Measurable, yes, but useful? Maybe. I'm certainly the person my coworkers turn to when they need a designated driver, so maybe that's something. Suppose I keep at my self-improvements, maybe I'll become a proper Jack of All Trades, like John Locke. Or a Swiss Army Human, like Inspector Gadget.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for lack of comment, my keyboard doesn't work sometimes. Yes, you've grown as a person over the years and become much more proactive when it comes to your health, but hold on a second. Driving around your drunk female co-workers makes you useful? I don't think that is a good measure of worth. How about how you've managed to make so many people laugh? How you came to Caitlin and my rescue so many times? Been a shoulder to cry on, no matter the time or situation? Being the person YOU are makes you useful (and I am not saying this because I'm your girlfriend, I've always thought this about you.)Want to feel more worth? Take a CPR class. Donate time to the community. Clean without being asked. Do whatever, but I know you are useful now.

    But you'd be a kickass Inspector Gadget.

    ReplyDelete